If you are in a position where you do not have the option to completely change out your fan, I have some other options for you. These options include changing certain aspects of the fans appearance.
Option #1 – Change the fans glass shades.
1) Changing the fans glass shades can completely upgrade your fans appearance. However, keep in mind that not all fans are the same size. With varying sized components available, be sure that before you purchase an item it will meet the measurements required by your current fan. Also some fans will have 2-4 glass shades. Make sure you order the correct amount to meet your fans needs.
Photo: Hampton Bay Fan
2) Lamping (or bulbs) vary as well. Make sure their is enough space in the glass shade for the bulb that you desire. Occasionally there will be a smaller sized base (or socket), take this into account when purchasing your new glass shade.
3) Start your search with your fan’s manufacturer. This will help to insure that the glass shades will fit the model that you have.
Photo: Monte Carlo Fan’s Mission Amber Glass – MC-G988
How to determine your glass shades style and color.
1) What does your current decor consist of? Modern, contemporary, hodge podge? This should play a large part in choosing your fans new glass shades.
2) Look around at your decors colors and style, and then begin your search.
Option #2 – Light Kits
Throughout your search you may find a “Light Kit. What is this? A light kit generally refers to replacing your fans dome style shade and the base of the lighting. And keep in mind that light kits and glass holders are designed to accept a specific size glass. If you purchase a light kit with a 3.5″ fitter you will need to use glass that has a 3.5″ fitter size. Although there are many “How To” videos on switching out your fan’s light kit, care should be taken when working with electricity. Below is a quick how to change your light kit by eHow.
Light kits are available in many style and colors options. Again start with your fan’s manufacturer to help determine the correct sizing and compatibility.
Option #3 – Fan Blades
Option 3 for changing your fans style is optional fan blade replacement. This would consist of removing the old fan blades which are usually held on with a fastener. Choosing your new fan blades and attaching and aligning them.
To do a little less work, try a fan blade cover. These simply slip over your current fan blades, giving you a whole new look. (see image below)
Photo: Palm Ceiling Fan Blade Cover
Option #4 – Pull Chain Replacement
Most fans nowadays have remote control options, although some still operate with the standard “pull chain”. If your fan is a basic model, your pull chain probably is too. The pull chain design can be matched with the fan replacement and glass shade’s style. A fun way to change your fans look it choosing a theme, tropical, colorful, traditional, the options are truly endless.
Photo: Glass Pull Chain Accessory
Option #5 – Ceiling Fan Medallion
Although replacing the medallion of the ceiling fan can sometimes be a bit more difficult than say maybe replacing the glass shades, it can make a noticeable difference in the fans appearance. Although the medallion image below presents a traditional style, medallions come in a variety of styles, designs and colors. Most come in white (see picture below) and can be painted to match the color of your walls, fan or ceiling.
Photo: Focal Point 81041 41 Inch Acanthus Medallion 41 Inch
There you have it, 5 ways to upgrade your fans appearance without replacing your fan. So whether you are seeking just one replacement part or the addition of decorative finishing touches, planning and design throughout your project will be your greatest assets.